Path of Paper reycles paper into empowerment!

Path of Paper began in 2007 when Kathryn O'Grady joined the Peace Corps, after graduating from James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA. As a Peace Corps volunteer Kathryn was stationed in the dusty town of Iganga, in the eastern African country Uganda. While there Kathryn worked with a great non-governmental organization and was introduced to the Gemakumyino Women's Group. It was love at first sight! The women involved in the Gemakumyino Women's Group are hardworking, artistic and were waiting for the opportunity to use their abilities to improve their lives and the lives of their families. Hence, POP was born.
Path of Paper uses recycled paper to create beautiful jewelry, purses, bowls, bracelets etc. These products transform waste into empowerment and income for the lives of women in Iganga, Uganda.
When you buy from POP, you are not only are you buying a beautiful quality item, but you are supporting real women with real needs.
Thanks to our board of directors, UAOWF, and the vast network of women and men worldwide who have helped make this a reality.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

tujay!

Well everyone. The day is finally here! I board my plane to Uganda tonight!Reservations have been made, prescriptions filled and I am [mostly] packed.



I already feel like I've been on an emotional roller coaster ride.. finally feeling mentally ready and excited to extract myself from my busy new york life, unplug from the internet and smart phones. I'm excited to immerse myself in a truly great opportunity. Yesterday Rick and I changed our adventure plans again so it looks like the last 3 days we and Michelle will be stared at by chimps at fort portal! Exciting..

So there will be tons of pics and videos and updates upon my return, but for now.. wish me luck and thanks for all the support!





also, the fairtrade sale at waterside in norfolk is going on this weekend and my mom and sister have been doing a great job!! So if you're in the area, be sure to stop by and see what people are doing to change the world! There are some really talented vendors there, and I'm always inspired! Many thanks go out to Via Creativa Gallery for all they have done to involve us in this momentous event! This is our biggest sale event of the year, and if anyone can do it right its caroline and cyndi! Upon my return i'll also upload some amazing pics Nick, my little brother, took of our merchandise! It looks great and next we'll need to work on a catalog!

Thanks for all the support!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I live in SC, but my cousin David lives in Norfolk, Va. For Christmas, my brother and I, my two children and his two (David's "Baby Cousins") received beautiful bracelets which must have come from this Fair Trade Fair. We LOVE them. (David always chooses amazing, handmade products that benefit us, his recipients, but also the manufacturer, usually small, homegrown businesses in Africa or South America). I love my bracelet and the story behind it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete